Monday, February 3, 2014

How to Mend a Hole in Blue Jeans




I'm sure I'm not alone when I say, that my pile of clothes to mend is mounting. I have three boys so you can only imagine why. When I decided to sit down and tackle one of the smaller jobs that had been nagging at me, literally "Mom, when are you going to fix my pull over!", I started to think about a poor pair of really nice blue jeans that had a blown out knee. I had painfully pulled them out if circulation, the hole was getting too big and he wouldn't wear them anymore. So I came up with a few ideas to get the hole under control and still look good. Now, I'm no seamstress, so don't give me too hard of a time if my terms aren't totally correct. But you should be able to get the idea. 



What you need:
  • Needle - at least as long as the widest part of the hole
  • Thread - I used about 2 arms lengths of white upholstery thread, for extra durability
  • Basic knowledge of sewing 
Steps:
1. Secure the thread at the base of the smallest part of the hole on the backside, then insert the needle back to the front side of fabric.

Tip: Work on a flat surface keeping the hole and fray laying in its natural position, so that it will lay flat and not be warped or bunched.



2. Starting on the topside of the fabric, so that you can see how the work is looking and get a feel for it.  Then weave the needle across the white fray, so that its not very visible.  Going across from one side to the other of the hole.

Tip: Try not to take too much across the top of the fray at one time so that it's not very visible.



-Insert the needle from the top to the bottom side and then bringing the needle slightly over and back up to the top.

-Make sure that the stitch is all the way into a secure part of the fabric, without taking it too far out of the fray. It might be more visible and look a little odd.  When I got to a place where the fabric was pretty compromised, I inserted the needle through the thickness, so it couldn't be seen.  Just check your spot before pulling it all the way through.

Tip: When pulling the string through keep a finger on the fray, so that it stays in place when you pull it.  Making sure the tension is just right so that it lays flat and there is no bunching. Periodically comb the fray straight. 




-Continue making your way down the hole till the hole gets to its widest point and there is no longer enough fray to fill and cover the tear and the stitching. 

Tip: This is not an exact science, just keep checking to make sure you are keeping track of how it looks and what is working best for you.







3. Then you'll start your way back to the beginning.  Turning the fabric inside out, continue the same weave across, except inserting the needle from the outside to the inside, so it will look more fluid.  Still keeping your finger on the fray when your pulling the string through.




Tip: Make sure you weave in all the loose fray at some point down the line, this will help it be more secure. You will see more of the string across, but that's OK cause its on the underside. 






Tip: Periodically look at the front side to check that not too much of the thread is showing.






Tip: It got a little tricky as the hole started to close up, I found myself sticking my hand up the pant leg at times.  Just take your time and do what works best for you and the results will be worth it.





4. When you get back to where you started, run the needle through the string a couple of times to knot its self and secure the thread.





- Yes there is still a hole left on mine but I couldn't sew where the fray was missing.  Luckily holes are in. 

Please let me know what you think and how it worked out for you. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment