Friday, February 28, 2014

Sewing: Applique: Birthday Tee Shirt





This week we have a big birthday, so I wanted B3 to have something special to wear for his birthday party. I am going to try my hand at applique and make him something cute.  I'm cutting out the word "two" to applique on a tee shirt. I spoke with my mom and read up a bit to find the technique that was right for me. I used my sewing machine manual for the basic steps. I wanted to create a cute colorful shirt for his special day. I chose three different, but coordinating patterns for the letters. I love randomness that works. 
I used an iron-on adhesive for my backing. I bought a yard so that I would have plenty for mess ups or other projects. (Sorry about the lighting I couldn't get it to do my shirt justice, but it will have to.) 


  • On a separate piece of paper I drew out the size of the space I had to work with and just free hand some letters. I say, don't be afraid of free handing, you can always erase if you need to.  Appreciate the imperfections and just say "it's supposed to be that way".  
  • I cut them out and and flipped them around and traced them onto the paper side of the heat n bond. 
  • Then again, cut out the letters on the heat n bond.
  • Placed them on the back of the different fabrics. Iron them on, following the instructions for the heat n bond. 
(My letters don't looked flipped in the picture because they are letters that can be either way). 
  • Cut out the cooled letters from the fabric






  • For the applique, I used black thread and a zigzag stitch, so I could get good contrast.  I practiced on a scrap piece of fabric. I found that the curves where the most tricky. But, I went slow and the results were good. I will keep practicing, I have a few more ideas up my sleeve I will try and perfect my techniques. Don't be afraid to try this, I cant believe I let my fear keep me from all the possibilities of applique!





No comments:

Post a Comment